Sunday, February 10, 2008

Skills?

One more hurdle standing between me and some "ideal" job is my skill set. I have relatively none. I know a little about the printing and bookbinding industry, but my love as far as manufacturing goes all falls under precision machine work or skillful woodworking. Thoughts of Paintball Airsmithing or production of Custom Flashlights comes to mind as something I occasionally think I would like to do. Or so many times I might look at someones handiwork with wood furniture as nigh unto magical and think about how that would be a fulfilling line of work. To be able to actually point to a well crafted product and be able to say "I made that." Right now my best days allow me to sit back and say "Nothing fell apart." That just doesn't speak to me quite the same way.

How am I to go about figuring a job that plays to my strengths if I don't even know what my strengths are to begin with? How should I go about developing my skills to where they could be used to make a living? The biggest problem there once again comes back to not knowing which direction I should go. Which one of my desired pursuits would I be able to develop enough to bring in money? I guess I need to start off by just purely listing what things I enjoy doing. Maybe that has to be the first step.

No comments: