Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Peter or Paul?

Most people will agree that you are where you are for a purpose. There is a reason God placed you in the circumstances that you are in. The problem is that those reasons aren't necessarily clear at all. Peter and Paul were both placed in prison for the crime of speaking of Christ. Both prisons were the stage for a mass break. The outcome of both similar situations were vastly different. Paul was supposed to stay in prison to have an effect on the jailors life, whereas Peter was supposed to leave to continue to preach the gospel.

How does this relate to me? I think the analogy is simple (though somewhat extreme). I find my job to be stressful. My question is, have I been placed here as a trial for myself or to be here for someone else, or is my purpose for being here to leave?

Recently I have come across 2 interesting articles related to my quest for career nirvana. Article #1 went on about how to go about leaving your job for a more desirable career. It pointed out many of the same things I have said about deciding on what you love and figuring out how to do it. Article #2 however was about finding your passion in the career you are in. It was about how to discover how to love your current job. Having read both of these articles in rapid sucession I have been left with more questions than answers, but at least I don't feel alone in my quest.

Has anyone else approached these same intersections and posed similar questions?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Maybe there is no strict purpose to being where you are. Maybe you are where you are because you made decisions each step of the way these last 10 years. And maybe the future isn't about divining some deeper meaning to your present. But, rather, doing the best you can with all that is before you and continuing to move forward.

Dave Wise said...

Don't get me wrong, I have no illusions about the fact that my decisions led me to this point. I just think that parallel to those decisions was an overarching plan that I am not aware of at the moment. If there wasn't a plan guiding my decisions I wouldn't have been able to get this job in the first place.

There is no way that this trial in my life is without purpose, however it is possible that it is without a purpose that will ever be known to me. Like you said, I just need to be prepared to make the best of what I have been given, that just may look like any number of things.

TheOgre said...

Hey Dave, this is the first time I had a chance to check out your blog.

How important is it that you find a reason for your trial? Will you be alright if you never get an answer? Peace Bro

Dave Wise said...

It's not really that important to find that out. It's kind of one of those things that will play itself out in the end. I'm just trying to get through it far enough to have that portion show itself.